Thursday, May 27, 2010

Student brings teen 10,000 miles for new leg








A chance conversation has transformed a teenager’s life – thanks to the kindness of a student 10,000 miles away.
Kelemete Raivuni, 17, was born in Fiji with only one fully-formed leg. But when Lisa Buckley, from Salford University, was told by her dad about the boy he met while working for the British High Commission on the island, she vowed to help.
Lisa, a prosthetics and orthotics student, and her dad Roy Zaman set about raising the £4,000 needed to fly Kelemete to Britain and pay for a new limb.
Lisa, a mum-of-three from Chadderton, said: “I never thought this would be possible when I first came up with the idea. Kelemete's a lovely kid and very humble. He is so grateful and we thrilled to bits we could help. This is the reason I went back to university.”
Kelemete said: “It has been really hard growing up surrounded by children who could use both their legs without problems and I just had crutches to get around. My wooden false limb was heavy and restricted what I can do. I have to fix it myself with tape, glue and string.
“My new limb will make my life so much better and easier. I am very lucky." The trip was paid for by Rotary Club Suva North Fiji and the Rotary Club of Chadderton and Failsworth.
Kelemete has been staying with Tony Wright, secretary of the Rotary Club Chadderton and Failsworth.
Dr Glyn Heath, director of prosthetics and orthotics in health care professions at Salford, said he was thrilled to be involved in helping Kelemete.
“Kelemete's artificial limb was functional, but very primitive, ill-fitting, totally beyond repair and incredibly heavy.
“This will make his mobility so much easier and give him a new level of confidence.

No comments: